EFT TRAINING At a Glance
1. Attend the EFT Basic ExternshIp.
Four-Day Externships in Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy are held in New York City and other centers throughout the USA. Most are taught by Dr. Sue Johnson and the ICEEFT certified trainers.
The Externship is the first level of training for learning EFT and for becoming a Certified EFT Therapist. The course teaches mental health professionals the basic clinical skills necessary to become competent as an EFT couples therapist. It includes readings, lecturers, discussions, videotape examples, and experiential skills practice. Two live couples sessions are scheduled for each Externship so participants have the opportunity to see the work in real time.
2. Attend a 4-Weekend Core Skills Series
Individual and group supervision in EFT/EFFT is offered by Certified EFT Supervisors and approved supervisor candidates. Aminimum of 8 individual supervision hours are required to apply towards certification. Group supervision can also be accessed through teleconference, Advanced Externship, or Core Skills training. The key principles of EFT clinical supervision are:
- A positive working alliance between the supervisor and supervisee is fostered — safety enhances learning.
- Modeling is available: the supervisor actively demonstrates EFT interventions (e.g., demonstrates attachment language and non-verbal behaviors of EFT).
- Observation of therapy sessions occurs or transcripts are examined. Role plays with feedback give opportunity for rehearsal.
- Feedback to supervisee is clear, focused, supportive, and congruent with supervisee's stage of learning.
- Specific elements are pointed out for the supervisee to improve or work on.
- Written theory and techniques of the EFT model are referred to and taught in relation to practice (e.g., steps, stages, interventions, experiential and non-pathologizing approach).
These principles were formulated with the help of Lisa Palmer-Olsen and the work of Eugene Mead.
Group Supervision for EFT
Many clinicians find presenting in a group format adds to their training experience, and your hours can also take the place of Core Skills if you choose to go that route. View current supervision groups >>
ADDITIONAL Training OPPORTUNITIES
There are a variety of training opportunities available through The New York Center for EFT. Supervision and training are provided by Certified EFT Supervisors and Trainers. For exact dates of upcoming events, groups and supervision, please see additional pages under the Training Information section.
Video Sundays take place monthly and give the greater New York Area EFT community a chance to watch training tapes together once a month with a supervisor moderating the discussions. Much better than watching them alone! Check our video sunday page for the next event »